Family Reunion blouse

I’ve almost finished the Oliver + S ‘Family Reunion blouse’ which I’ve made to match Niamh’s bloomers featured in my previous post. The only thing left to do is add some buttons which I’m hoping to buy during a trip to Nottingham tomorrow.

I would call myself a complete novice when it comes to sewing and the ‘Family Reunion blouse’ was a good challenge for someone like me. Oliver + S give it a difficulty mark of 2 out of 4 which I would agree with.

I’m fairly happy with the way it has turned out. The only real disappointment is the neckline. I think I somehow cut the neckline trim so it was bigger than the neckline of the main material, meaning the end result isn’t as smooth as it should be. I do intend to make the ‘Family Reunion dress’ which is a longer version of the blouse with feature stitching around the hem, so hopefully I can better the neckline next time round.

The other difference with my version is that I misunderstood so misread the instructions. The blouse is supposed have pleats at the front and back of the dress. Looking at the picture I thought they were darts so I sewed my pleats inside out so the blouse has feature darts on the front and back instead! It still works but I think when I come to make the dress I’ll try the pleats instead.

Results below:-

20110613-101403.jpg
you can see how I thought they were darts instead of pleats can’t you?

20110613-101541.jpg
I think the polka dot used from Niamh’s bloomers works really well. I just need some white buttons to add to the tab below the neckline to add a pretty detail.

20110613-101909.jpg20110613-101927.jpg
I cut the sleeves to ensure a full size bird appears in the middle of the sleeve.

20110613-102055.jpg
The back of the dress just needs some red buttons, although I’m thinking maybe having lots of different colours taking the blue, yellow and pink colours from the print, but I’ll just have to see what I can find.

20110613-102313.jpg
A close up of the neckline. I am disappointed with this, as it looks a little puckered but you can’t notice it so much when Niamh’s wearing it.

The dress took about four weekends (with the buttons still to go) but I enjoyed making it and learnt quite a bit so looking forward to making it again in a bigger size for Niamh to grow into.

I did make the smallest size – 6 to 12 months. Niamh’s almost 10 months old and she is small for her age, however it only just fits so I’m not sure if she’ll still be wearing it by the time she reaches 12 months which is annoying as it took me so long to make!

Next project, which is the main reason I wanted to get the sewing machine out is to make a patchwork quilt to cover Niamh’s cot bed. I’ve got some material already but again hoping to get a few more bits and pieces tomorrow in Notts. This will probably take a looong time!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s